Thursday, September 16, 2010

My New Home: it's not a ship, but a castle!

August 26th I departed from Louisville airport for my next journey. Yes, I know I move quick. I've been referred to as Carmen San Diego a couple of times..but what can I say, you only live once!! You have to live like you were dying, as Tim McGraw might say. It was quite hard leaving my wonderful family though. I will miss them so much over these 4 months, especially little Avery who will be dramatically different when I get back. I hate missing all of it! She came to the airport to say farewell to me in her cute little homemade shirt. It says I <3 Aunt Kate. It brought tears to my eyes.



I arrived in London on the morning of August 27th to begin my Fall 2010 semester at Harlaxton College. Harlaxton is situated an hour or two north of London in Grantham. It's a small, quaint little town with all the necessities which I love because it gives the real English countryside feel. I live inside that 'manor' (pic on right) -- isn't it crazy that I get to call that home! Here I eat, sleep, and take classes. Some days, I don't even go outside because everything I need is in there. As far as my room, I got pretty darn lucky...my roommates, Andrea and Lacie, and I have one of the largest rooms in the manor. I love it - it has a couch and everything!



This semester I am taking 12 hours of classes, which is awesome, so I can travel on the weekends. Everyone is required to take 6 hours of British Studies - for the record, I very strongly dislike History classes so this will be a tough one for me. My other 6 hours include Special Topics in Biology regarding all of the famous British Scientists. It's a field trip based course so we will be visiting many famous sites throughout England where science has been impacted. And lastly, Public Speaking, which I'm required to have, so might as well take it now, right!




My friends from WKU, Stephanie and Shelby are with me here at Harlaxton, and I'm so glad! We are planning all our trips together for the weekends and it's so much fun to have them here with me. We are going to make lifetime memories together.

Our second night here we had a 'high table dinner' which required 'smart' dress. It was followed by tea and dessert, which they call 'pudding'. To the left is a picture of Andrea, Me, Stephanie, Lacie, and Shelby!

Classes began August 30th, and that weekend we were off to explore London! That will be in the next post.

Hope you enjoy!

Cheers,

Aunt Kate




No comments:

Post a Comment